If your pregnancy has become a bit of a surprise, unusual, or not what you expect, your doctor or midwife-nurse may refer you to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist. Maternal-fetal medicine specialists, also called perinatologists, are obstetrician-gynecologists with additional education and training in diagnosing and treating pregnancy complications. Our main goal is to help keep both mom and baby healthy before, during, and after birth. We’ll briefly review why many women see maternal-fetal medicine specialists and what you can expect from high-risk pregnancy care.
Before, During, and After Pregnancy: What to Expect from High-Risk Pregnancy Care
Any woman can consult with a maternal-fetal medicine specialist before conception, during pregnancy, and even after giving birth. Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are considered experts in pregnancy complications and unusual pregnancies. Whether you’re expecting twins or have an unexplainable medical condition, extra care is needed to help keep you and your newborn safe.
- Planning a Healthy Pregnancy: When meeting with a maternal-fetal medicine specialist, they can provide assistance before you conceive to have a healthy pregnancy. They can provide safe medications and treatments to help assist with ongoing health issues that can worsen during your pregnancy.
- Assistance With Past Pregnancy Problems: Your doctor can also look for the reasons for multiple miscarriages, early labor, or early delivery and find solutions.
- Diagnosing Birth Conditions: Your maternal-fetal medicine specialists will use advanced ultrasound, fetal MRI, fetal echocardiograms, and specialized tests to identify genetic conditions and possible birth defects. This can allow you to prepare for a child with special needs and help other specialists within your pregnancy plan to monitor your health better.
- Checking Multiples Health: Twins, triplets, and other multiples face various risks during pregnancy and come with higher odds of early delivery. Maternal-fetal medicine specialists can better track their development and use advanced imaging techniques to check for slow growth or circulation problems. Sometimes, they can also perform procedures to correct those issues before birth.
- Assessing Problems and Risks: Any women with pre-existing health problems and conditions that arise during their pregnancy can receive expert advice and care to minimize the risk of complications.
- Medical Treatment After Delivery: Depending on how the delivery went, some surgical treatments may be required immediately after the delivery, and those factors can be planned for before and during the pregnancy when needed to care for both mom and baby.
- Postpartum Care and Complications: Women who face complications after their birth, such as infections or heavy bleeding, can receive care from a maternal-fetal medicine specialist alongside an intensive care team.
Visit Rosenberg Maternal Fetal Medicine For Advanced Pregnancy Care!
At Rosenberg Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Dr. Victor Rosenberg and his team can provide advanced fetal medicine care for mothers experiencing complications before, during, and after their pregnancy. Visit our locations in both Hewlett, NY, and Suffern, NY and call us at Hewlett: (516) 501-9840 or Suffern: (845) 764-9880 to schedule an appointment today!